Washington Avenue Christian Church lives out its commitment to serving others in the name of Christ, through a variety of activities. Some of these include:
- Providing for the needy in our community through food, toiletry and clothing donations to Genesis House (women's shelter), the Neighborhood Alliance (for at-risk children), the Elyria Hospitality Center (for adults and families in need), and the Salvation Army.
- Supporting the work of the Lorain County Free Clinic in providing health care services to all.
- Preparing and serving a monthly Hot Meal through the Salvation Army and assisting with its holiday kettle collection program.
- Supporting Lorain County Habitat for Humanity housing starts for need-based families and individuals.
- Serving as a covenant church of Pathways Counseling & Growth Center, Lorain County's only faith-based counseling center.
- Helping to fund new church starts, disaster and emergency relief assistance, education and outreach programs, and supporting the administrative work of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) through special offerings throughout the year.
- Participating in the CROP Walk (fighting the causes of hunger locally and internationally) and the Walk for the Kids (in support of the work of the Cleveland Christian Home, a residential and outreach care facility for children and families suffering from the effects of abuse and neglect).
- Supporting the Church World Service Tools and Blankets program.
- Encouraging volunteer commitments by our individual members to over 50 different non-profit organizations and efforts.
- Working in conjunction with Disciples Men's and Women's groups locally and internationally to provide clothing, school kits, health kits, and other items to those in need.
- Providing annual scholarships and opportunities for youth to explore the Christian camp experiences of Camp Christian.
- Reaching out to the homebound through visitations, cards and seasonal gifts, and bringing the Lord's Supper into their residences.
- Opening our facilities to non-profit community groups (Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Alcoholics Anonymous, etc.)
In July, 2015 Washington Avenue Christian Church was presented with Christian Church Foundation's James P. Johnson Stewardship Award in recognition of this congregation's support of denominational outreach programs, as well as local efforts: View the full story here.
Items Needed by the Elyria Hospitality Center
Please place the following items into the grocery cart located in our hallway:
Tuna fish (5 oz.)
Peanut butter (18 oz.)
Jelly (18 oz.)
Canned fruit (10-16 oz.)
Spaghetti (1 lb.) and sauce (15 oz.)
Canned whole corn and/or canned green beans (15 oz.)
Vegetable oil (24 oz.)
Chicken noodle soup packets (i.e., Ramen noodles)
Toiletries (soap, razors, shampoo, toothbrushes and toothpaste)
Children "Change-ing" Lives
Watch for the change jar in the red wagon, in the new building hallway each Sunday.
All change collected is given to the Cleveland Christian Home for Children.
Hurricane, Earthquake and Flood Victim Donations
To help with relief efforts from recent disasters,
please direct your gifts to the church office.
Checks may be made payable to: "WACC", with
"Week of Compassion" written on the memo line.
You may also indicate a specific disaster effort on the memo line.
Please visit Week of Compassion on-line to learn about other ways to help
(i.e., health kits, school kits, clean-up buckets, etc.).
Thank you for caring and sharing...in Christ's name!
Call 440-323-4213 if you would like more information on any of the above.
301 Washington Avenue, Elyria, Ohio 44035-5124     Phone:  (440) 323-4213     Fax:  (440) 323-4214
Click here to email the church office.